Not all humidifiers are good for a large room. Home humidifiers have quite a range; you can find anything from the cute 300 ml units to the big 5+ L humidifiers. We have tallied up all the best large humidifiers that adequately humidify large rooms (with 500+ sq ft coverage).
Using a large room humidifier has quite a few benefits. Here’s just one very interesting suggestion from the National Institute On Aging:
“Try using a humidifier, an appliance that adds moisture to a room.” (US Department of Health & Human Services, NIH NIA, Chapter ‘Dry Skin and Itching’)
If you have a large room and you would like to increase moisture it in, it makes sense to get the best humidifier for large rooms, right?
There are quite a few distinctions that separate the good large room humidifiers from the best humidifiers from large rooms, apart from the specified room coverage area.
We are going to cover all of the important specs you should be aware of. Based on these, we have created a list of the best large room humidifiers, complete with a spec-by-spec comparison.
You will find all of this further on. First, we’re going to cover 4 primary and 4 secondary specifications you need to be aware of when buying a large room humidifier. If you want just to know which humidifiers are best for large rooms, you can skip to the list, comparison table, and reviews here:
Let’s first look at which exact specifications you should be looking at to pinpoint the top-rated large room humidifiers:
4 Key Specifications To Check In Large Room Humidifiers
The primary specs to check for if you are in a market for a big room air humidifier are:
- Water capacity. Large room humidifiers should have large water tanks; at least 3L. In the table below, you will find humidifiers with as much as 6 L water capacity (Note: The best whole house humidifiers don’t have a tank, it has a continuous supply of water).
- Room coverage. This goes without saying; manufacturers specify how big a room can their humidifier adequately humidity. The biggest humidifiers can adequately humidifier areas from 323 sq ft to 753 sq ft; the whole house HVAC humidifier has an extremely large 4,000 sq ft coverage area).
- Warm and cold mist output. Most humidifiers are cold mist-only humidifiers; the best large room humidifiers like #1 TaoTronics TT-AH046 can produce both cold and warm mist with 200+ ml/h output.
- Running hours. Refueling the water tank is a bother; the best humidifiers for large spaces should be able to run for 40+ hours without refueling.
4 Secondary Specs To Check As Well
Secondary specs include:
- How easy it is to clean a humidifier. Cleaning is another bothersome task with large humidifiers; it makes sense to pick the easiest to clean a large room humidifier. #2 Levoit LV600HH is a good example of a very easy to clean humidifier for large rooms.
- Noise levels. If you are looking for a humidifier for a large bedroom, you should look at the decibel levels. Whisper quiet humidifiers are obviously preferred. The quietest large bedroom humidifier is the #3 Taotronics TT-AH045; it generates as little as 26 dB of noise.
- Type of humidifier. Cold mist humidifiers are the most popular (Check #1, #2, #3 units). Types of humidifiers range from the best whole-home humidifiers that are built into the HVAC ductwork (Example: #4 Aprilaire 400M with up to 4,000 sq ft coverage) to the best filterless ultrasonic humidifiers for large rooms (Example: #5 Everlasting Comfort humidifier).
- Inclusion of a built-in humidistat. Humidistat tells you what is the relative humidity in your house. Your target relative humidity should be 35% – 45%. According to Condair and based on the “Criteria for Human Exposure to Humidity in Occupied Buildings” article, “…humidity of 35% – 45% is shown to reduce the incidence of respiratory infections and allergies and asthma symptoms by minimizing the formation of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and dust mites.”
What Size Humidifier Do I Need For A Large Room?
Humidifier sizing is an underrated aspect here. In many cases, we don’t have to worry about how big a humidifier we need. However, if we have a large room, we do need to know what size humidifier will adequately moisture such a bigger room.
The ability of a humidifier to increase relative humidity levels from 20-30% (too low) to 35-45% (just perfect) is correlated with the warm or cold mist output. However, that specification – the cold mist output – is missing from the specification sheet of most humidifiers.
That’s why the simplest way to size a humidifier is to correlate water capacity (tank size) with room coverage. We can use this rule of thumb in the standard 8ft ceiling rooms:
1L of water capacity = 100 sq ft coverage
Water capacity is measured in liters (L). 1L is equal to about 1/4 of a gallon. For every 1 L of water tank capacity, such a humidifier can cover roughly 100 sq ft of living area.
That means that 1L humidifiers are good for a small 100 sq ft room and the big 6L humidifiers are good for large rooms.
Based on this humidifier sizing rule of thumb, you can roughly estimate the size of the humidifier you need. To help you out, we calculated a few examples in this table:
|Room Size (in Sq Ft):||Example Of Such Room:||Humidifier Size (in L)|
|100 sq ft||10×10, 10×12, 12×12 rooms||1L humidifier|
|200 sq ft||14×14, 14×16, 16×16 rooms||2L humidifier|
|300 sq ft||16×18, 18×18 rooms||3L humidifier|
|400 sq ft||18×20, 20×20, 21×21 rooms||4L humidifier|
|500 sq ft||22×22, 22×24 rooms||5L humidifier|
|600 sq ft||24×24, 26×26 rooms||6L humidifier|
With all this in mind, let’s have a look at which are the best large space humidifiers for sale currently on the market:
Best Humidifiers For Large Rooms
- Best Cool Mist Humidifier For Large Rooms (By Far): TaoTronics TT-AH046
- Best Easy To Clean Large Room Humidifier: Levoit LV600HH
- Quietest Humidifier For A Large Bedroom: Taotronics TT-AH045 (26 dB noise levels)
- Best Extra Large Whole-Home Humidifier: Aprilaire 400M (Up to 4,000 sq ft homes)
- Best Filterless Ultrasonic Humidifier For A Big Room: Everlasting Comfort
1. Best Cool Mist Humidifier For Large Rooms (By Far): TaoTronics TT-AH046
TaoTronics TT-AH046 6L is by far the best humidifier for big rooms. It’s quite an outstanding unit; it has both cold and warm mist settings, built-in humidifiers, a very large 6L tank and it’s remarkably easy to clean due to smooth surfaces. It has an up to 753 sq ft specified coverage area; more than enough even for the biggest 27×27 rooms (of course, you can put in a smaller room as well).
The key advantage of TaoTronics TT-AH046 is the ability to generate not only cold mist but warm mist as well. The mist height can reach up to about 4 feet; it’s a powerful humidifier for large rooms. It has a very fast moisture dispersal. The cold mist output is 300 ml/h and the warm mist output is incredible at 550 ml/h. That means it can adequately increase the relative humidity levels very fast.
The 6L or 1.59-gallon water tank is essential for it to be able to service large rooms. With such a large and fast-working humidifier, the built-in humidistat is essential. You can set it at 35%, 40%, 45%, and up to 65%; the TaoTronics TT-AH046 humidifier will produce a considerable water moisture output until the set humidity is reached in a large room.
What is more, the smooth surfaces make it very easy to clean.
With 1 full water tank, you can run it uninterrupted for up to 60 hours.
The only downside is that if you put it in a room below 300 sq ft, it’s kind of overkill. The TaoTronics TT-AH046 is specifically designed to be used in large rooms and provides a fast increase in humidity.
All in all, TaoTronics TT-AH046 is a versatile powerhouse. Not only it’s the best cool mist large room humidifiers, it can also provide warm mist. With 6L, it has a 753 sq ft coverage area, and will adequately increase humidity levels in any large room:
2. Best Easy To Clean Large Room Humidifier: Levoit LV600HH
Levoit is one of the top price-performance brands for humidifiers. Their biggest model – the big room 6L – is the Levoit LV600HH. The key to all Levoit models is that they are designed as easy-clean humidifiers. The Levoit LV600HH is the best easy to clean humidifier for large rooms currently on the market.
Similar to the #1 Taotronics unit, the Levoit LV600HH has a 6L water capacity and 753 sq ft coverage area. That’s enough for the biggest rooms.
With its 280W electrical power input, it can generate up to 500 ml/h of mist output (both cold and warm mist). You can even add essential oils in the mix if you want to have some aroma alongside the increase in indoor humidity levels.
The smooth surfaces are essential for easy cleaning. Humidifiers can be notoriously difficult to clean; all the nooks and crannies have to be scrubbed from time to time in order to avoid mold and algae growth. Levoit LV600HH makes this task simple. You can reach every internal part easily even if you have large hands. The outside surfaces are smooth and can be cleaned as easily as you clean your TV, for example.
In short, the Levoit LV600HH is the best easy clean humidifier for large rooms. It has up to 753 sq ft coverage area, can generate up to 500 ml/h cold or warm mist output, and it’s the easiest large room humidifier to clean:
3. Quietest Humidifier For A Large Bedroom: Taotronics TT-AH045 (26 dB noise levels)
TaoTronics TT-AH045 is a great example of a big humidifier. It’s has a 4L water capacity and is perfectly sized for large bedrooms. The key advantage of TaoTronics TT-AH045 is the 26 dB noise levels; it’s super silent. That’s why this is the best humidifier for large bedrooms.
In a bedroom, the noise levels (decibels) are essential. If you can’t sleep with a humidifier turned on (due to noise), you will probably wake up with below 30% relative humidity levels (and associated problems) on winter nights.
To combat noise levels, the TaoTronics TT-AH045 has a patented water dripping system that turns it into a whisper-quiet humidifier, perfect for large rooms. In fact, while running, it generates as little as 26 dB. That is quieter than any other humidifier with above 300 sq ft coverage area.
With the 4L tank capacity, the TaoTronics TT-AH045 can run for about 50 hours. It has a specified coverage area of 323 sq ft. The average bedroom size is 132 sq; a master bedroom is a minimum of 224 sq ft (14×16). With the 323 sq ft, the TaoTronics TT-AH045 will adequately increase the relative humidity even in bigger master bedrooms.
All in all, the key part for increasing humidity levels in master bedrooms is a big yet quiet humidifier. TaoTronics TT-AH045 is one of the biggest and definitely the quietest large humidifiers, perfect for master bedrooms:
4. Best Extra Large Whole Home Humidifier: Aprilaire 400M (Up to 4,000 sq ft homes)
Aprilaire 400M is in another category of large humidifiers entirely. This is a whole-home humidifier; the kind that is usually installed into the HVAC ducting and supplies not only 1 big room but your entire home with additional moisture. Aprilaire is generally considered as the best brand for the whole-house humidifiers and the Aprilaire 400M is their most popular model.
Whole-home humidifiers don’t have a water tank. They have a continuous flow of water. The biggest the whole-home humidifier, the biggest continuous flow it will have. Aprilaire 400M has a 17 gallons per day water flow. This is used to generate enough moisture to raise humidity levels in houses with up to 4,000 sq ft (net total).
The problem with the whole-house humidifiers like Aprilaire 400M is that:
- Requires installation that is more complex than that of a standard plug-it-in humidifier.
- Requires ductwork.
- Costs more. The standard price for a whole-house humidifier is $200+.
On the upside, if you install a whole-home humidifier, you don’t really need a humidifier in every room. It’s the most cost-effective way to elevate the relative humidity levels in an entire house. You don’t have to room by room. Aprilaire 400M has a 4,000 sq ft coverage area; to match that, you would need 5-8 large room humidifiers.
All in all, if you’re looking for a whole-home humidifier, the Aprilaire 400M is your best option:
5. Best Filterless Ultrasonic Humidifier For A Big Room: Everlasting Comfort
Everlasting Comfort humidifier is both big and appropriate to be used in bigger rooms. Its main advantage is that this is a humidifier without filters. With up to 500 sq ft coverage, the Everlasting Comfort is the best filterless humidifier for large rooms.
This ultrasonic humidifier is quite a neat unit. Nobody really likes maintaining, cleaning, and changing humidifier filters. The ultrasonic water evaporation mechanism of Everlasting Comfort humidifiers enables it to operate without filters. That saves you quite a lot of filter cleaning time and associated costs.
It is still a 6L unit but it has a lower specified coverage area than other big 6L humidifiers; 500 sq ft, to be exact.
You can also use essential oils (you get a special tray for that) to add aroma.
However, the biggest con of the Everlasting Comfort unit is the reliability. This is a no-name brand and not exactly well-known in the HVAC world. They do have a 2 year replacement policy which is a plus:
Here you have it, these are the basics of how to pick the best humidifier suitable for a large room. If you have any questions or suggestions, you can pose them in the comments below and we’ll try our best to help you out.